8/18/2010

Welcome to U2 Gospel.


Those of you who know me well, and some who know just a little bit, might get a little chuckle at the title of my blog. I’ve wanted to start a blog for quite some time. The problem is, I’m very long-winded and I tend to be all over the place. If you need proof, I’ll post some of the feedback over the years from my professors. At the same time, I believe there is an inherent value to put some of what I’m thinking down for different reasons. One, it’s good to get things off my chest. Secondly, I’m actually interested in hearing what others have to say about what I’m thinking. You don’t have to agree with me on every point. In fact, you may disagree with me altogether, but I’m learning something priceless about friendship the older I get. The truest of friends are willing to listen, talk and ask. So, consider this blog an extension of that idea. We live in a world where people rarely talk to each other, and while that’s a topic for another day, that’s no way to live life (although it just may be the safest).

Where do I begin? How about my love for U2? OK, that sounds great. I’ll start there. I’ve always been a bit of restless soul. Not so much unhappy or miserable, just a bit restless. Not sure why, but I’d like to chalk it up to my sense of adventure (of the non-camping/outdoors variety). I remember sitting in my AP Spanish class in high school and my teacher, Senora Linares, was pointing at a map while teaching. The thought hit me as I sat there while she spoke, “I want to change the world!” I know, big idea, right? The world seemed so big and so small all at the same time. In some ways, it still does. How does a 17 year-old chase a dream to make a difference? Well, that process has been 19 years in the making (where does the time go?) and most days it has felt like I’ve taken two steps forward and 20 steps backwards. However, those two steps forward make all the difference in the world. During these last 19 years, U2’s music has become and still serves as a soundtrack for that dream to change the world.

Those who know me are also aware of my real, deep and abiding commitment to Jesus. Yes, it’s true that during those same 19 years, I’ve wrestled, struggled, cried, doubted, matured and solidified that relationship as well. I grew up, like many of my friends, in a religious environment. Don’t get me wrong, I am grateful for my upbringing and my life’s experiences, both positive and negative, but I felt, for the longest time, that there was a disconnect from my own experience, my ideas about God and the world at large. U2’s music actually helped me transition through a very awkward time. I would liken it to a spiritual puberty. No, really, that's how I would describe it. Sounds weird, but I think it captures well what I went through.

So, you see, what the Gospel is (more on that topic later) and more importantly, WHOM the Gospel is all about captivates and consumes every fiber in my being. When U2 plays and Bono is singing, it’s often what I think about. This blog will be about more than just U2. However, this will be a lens into my life, my hopes, fears, and loves, my weaknesses, failures, optimism and faith. Sometimes it will be light, other times serious, but mostly in between. I hope to invite gracious and honest reflection from anyone patient enough to read. I am also hoping to learn from others who can add a more deepened understanding of my own limited knowledge. I’m hopeful that this will come from those who not only share my commitment to Christ, but especially from those who don’t. I will try to keep it short-ish. But like Bono sings in “40,” “How long to sing this song?” Looking forward to sharing and to getting to know you all better.

No comments:

Post a Comment